The New Year is the perfect time to resolve to lessen our impact on the earth by making changes in our personal and professional lives. Incorporating sustainable principles into your business gives you a competitive advantage over traditional competition. Formal green resolutions are also a great way to improve a companies’ green capabilities and business propositions. An enduring commitment to environmental principles is an increasingly popular form of strategic philanthropy.
According to Small Business Consulting, here is a summary of their clients top ten green business resolutions for 2011.
1. Energy efficiency efforts including LED lighting, energy efficient office equipment and efficient power use (eg: unplug electronic equipment, turn off the lights and lower the thermostat).
2. Reuse or recycle as much as possible including waste materials, office furniture, computers, DVD players, televisions, compact fluorescent light bulbs and cell phones.
3. Use less resources of all kinds and avoid single-use products altogether.
4. Reduce car usage amongst employees by organizing carpools, or encouraging walking, cycling or use of public transport. When motorized transportation is necessary, use electric vehicles.
5. Go paperless by filing documents electronically, communicating digitally and eliminating printing.
6. Work from home and save money, time, and carbon emissions by not having to commute.
7. Join or support sustainable business groups.
8. Rainwater capture for property irrigation and/or use in toilets.
9. Reduce company packaging.
10. Green company supply chain.
The Green Market resolves to continue to improve and expand our efforts to help businesses see the value of environmental responsibility.
Top 10 Predictions for Sustainable Business and the Green Economy in 2011
THE GREEN MARKET’s Top 25 Environmental Stories of 2010
10 Best Eco-Inventions of 2010
Odd Yet Effective Green Inventions
Time’s Top 5 Green Energy Inventions of 2010
Video: Planet 100’s Top 5 Green Inventions
Greenpeace’s Best Green Electronics
Greenpeace’s Ranking of Electronic Companies
Best Green and Sustainable Business Twitter Feeds
Top 20 Green and Sustainable Business Facebook Groups
Best Green Automotive Innovations of 2010
Newsweek’s 10 Greenest Companies in 2010
Sierra’s Top 5 Insider Reader Stories from 2010
Environmental Leader’s Most Read Stories of 2010
Portfolio 21’s Top 10 Green Investments for 2011
Video of the Top 10 Green Reads of the Decade