On November 29th and 30th Humber College in Toronto Ontario is hosting a course and workshop entitled, Profiting from the New Rules of Green Marketing by Jacquie Ottman (SC 130). This workshop designed to bring to life the principles, strategies, tools and frameworks discussed in the award-winning book: The New Rules of Green Marketing: Strategies, Tools and Inspiration for Sustainable Branding by Jacquelyn Ottman (Berrett-Koehler, 2011).
This highly interactive workshop empowers professionals to take advantage of opportunities stemming from mainstream consumers’ growing environmental consciousness. Practical in orientation, it provides success strategies for eco design, communications, eco-labeling and stakeholder engagement illustrated by examples from sustainability leaders. Learning will be reinforced with hands-on exercises involving real and hypothetical cases studies.
– 8 Content Modules over the 2 days
– A copy of the Award Winning Book: The New Rules of Green Marketing: Strategies, Tools and Inspiration for Sustainable Branding (Berrett-Koehler, 2011)
– Pre-reading materials & pre-assessment survey
– Follow up 1 hour telephone consultation for Teams after the workshop (at a reduced rate)
– Access to the “Green Marketing” Community of Practice Forum and Resources
– Green Marketing Certificate of Completion
Upon completing this workshop, participants will be able to:
– Understand why greening is now mainstream and make the business case for addressing consumer’s environmental and social concerns through green products and services.
– Identify emerging business opportunities related to sustainability and be equipped with strategies for enhancing their brand’s sustainability profile over the next 3 – 5 years.
– Segment mainstream green consumers, key motivations and buying influencers relevant to their own product lines.
– Describe the “new green marketing paradigm” and compare and contrast it to conventional marketing
– Understand why a total life cycle approach to green product development is necessary and how such tools as Life Cycle Assessment can be used to identify opportunities to enhance, measure and communicate environmental and social performance of products and services.
– Identify key eco-strategies for improving environmental performance of existing products (Eco-design), and how sustainability can be used as a basis for innovation (eco-innovation) and apply these concepts to their own product lines.
– Identify and develop key success strategies for ensuring the relevance and credibility of green messaging, including gaining familiarity with key eco-labels and criteria for selection.
– Identify opportunities and strategies for enlisting stakeholders into the implementation of their green marketing plan.
– Learn about the key success factors in “best practice” green marketing concepts and brand initiatives from the leading sustainability marketers.
– Become familiar with key resources for partnering on green initiatives.
– Use a template for integrating critical environmental concepts into your brand strategy.
– Develop a marketing plan for positioning a new (or hypothetical) green product or initiative to mainstream consumers.
Bring a Team and gain additional insights and achievements, including:
– Learn a common and shared language, perspective and strategies for implementing green marketing concepts and opportunities as a Team.
– Create a collaborative initial marketing plan for taking a green initiative forward in your company.
– Identify emerging business opportunities related to sustainability and be equipped with strategies for enhancing your brand’s sustainability profile over the next 3-5 years.
DAY 1 MORNING
Goals and Agenda
Module 1: The Marketplace Goes Green
Exercise: The business case for your brand (small group discussion & presentation)
Module 2: We Are All Green Consumers
Exercise: What shade of green are your consumers (possible mind mapping or scenario exercise)
Module 3: The New Green Marketing Paradigm
Exercise: Envisioning your brand within the new green marketing paradigm
DAY 1 AFTERNOON
Module 3: The New Green Marketing Paradigm (continued)
Exercise: Envisioning your brand within the new green marketing paradigm
Module 4: Reimaging our Product in a Sustainable World
Exercise: Designing Greener Products: A Life Cycle Approach & Opportunities to green our Product
DAY 2 MORNING
Module 5: Communicating Sustainability with Impact
Exercise: Rules of Thumb for good and bad communication
Module 6: Establishing Credibility. Avoiding Greenwash
Exercise: Scenario examination, “Is this Greenwash”?
Module 7: Partnering for Success
Small Group Work – Opportunity & Plan Development
DAY 2 AFTERNOON
Module 8: Completion of Green Marketing Plan & Examination of Two “Best Practice” Companies.
Interactive Case Exercise: Developing a Plan to Position and Market Your New Green Initiative (or hypothetical case study) to Mainstream Consumers and receive feedback and next determine steps.
Jacquie Ottman is considered to be North America’s foremost expert on green marketing. After spending over a decade in major NY advertising agencies learning the marketing ropes from the likes of Procter & Gamble and Ralston Purina, Jacquie founded J. Ottman Consulting, Inc. and pioneered green marketing. Her goal: apply her finely-honed consumer packaged goods skills, her creative bent for dreaming up new products, and her strategic instincts to the toughest issues involved in meeting consumers’ needs sustainably.
She and her colleagues have helped more than 60 Fortune 500 businesses and various U.S. government labeling programs, including U.S. EPA’s Energy Star and the USDA’s new USDA Certified Biobased label, develop and launch exciting new products and create credible and profitable strategies for reaching mainstream green consumers.
Ottman is a founding co-chair of the Sustainable Brands conference, at which she has given several keynote addresses. She is also the founding co-chair of the Sustainable Business Committee of the Columbia Business School Alumni Club of New York, and its wildly successful “Making Green from Green Certificate Series”, now in its third year. In 2004, she created the Design: Green educational initiative under an US EPA Innovation Grant with the goal of jumpstarting eco-design education among practitioners and students. The former co-chair of the NYC chapter of O2, the global network of green designers and marketers, for seven years she chaired the jury of the American Marketing Association’s Special Edison Awards for Environmental Achievement.
She is the author of the newly released, The New Rules of Green Marketing: Strategies, Tools and Inspiration for Sustainable Branding (Berrett-Koehler (U.S.), Greenleaf Publishing (U.K.), February 2011, which has been named by the University of Cambridge (U.K) as a top 40 Sustainability book, and by Ecolibris as a top ten green book. Previous books include: Green Marketing: Opportunity for Innovation (McGrawHill, 1993), hailed as “the definitive text on the subject.” She keeps the business community abreast of her learning by writing for her blog, Jacquie Ottman’s Green Marketing Blog, and numerous business publications.
This course will be of value to Sustainability and Marketing personnel in any consumer product or service sector, particularly individuals in the following positions –
• Marketing Managers & VPs
• Category Managers
• Sustainability Directors
• Advertising Directors
• Green Marketing and Business Professionals
• Marketing Educators
• Brand Teams at the Start of a Project – Jump start your project, bring your marketing Team and work on a potential “green marketing” plan for your company (Team Discounts available)
Regular rate: $ 1,800 pp
Groups of 3 or more: Regular Rate: $ 1,500 pp
Each attendee will receive Green Marketing Certificate of Completion.
To register or for more information: mailto:email@example.com
UPDATE: This workshop has been postponed until Spring 2012.
© 2011, Richard Matthews. All rights reserved.