Powerful forces are aligning to drive sustainability in 2012. Companies are leading by eliminating waste and diminishing greenhouse gas emissions due to the realization that the pursuit of environmental benefits yields material results.
More companies than ever are creating economic value from enhanced social and environmental outcomes. A recent study by Green Research titled Annual Sustainability Executive Survey, 2012, found that corporate sustainability spending will significantly increase over the next year. Almost 33 percent of the companies surveyed are adding staff to their sustainability departments, and 50 percent will increase spending on company-wide sustainability initiatives. A total of 25 percent of the companies surveyed said they are planning to increase the budgets of their sustainability departments.
Sustainability is fast becoming a core component of business best practices. Here is a list of sustainability resolutions to help you become a leader in the sustainable businesses revolution that is taking hold in 2012.
1. Inform yourself about the value of sustainability
2. Create a team within your organization dedicated to sustainability
3. Incorporate sustainability into your long term strategy
4. Adopt sustainable business practices
5. Craft measurable goals
6. Disseminate information on the veracity of climate change
7. Get others within your supply chain involved in sustainability
8. Petition all levels of government about the need for climate and energy legislation
9. Educate consumers about your sustainability efforts
10. Convince consumers that buying a sustainable brand provides them more value than the cheaper alternative.
© 2012, Richard Matthews. All rights reserved.