The first Earth Hour was held in Sydney Australia on March 31, 2007. It has since grown into a global movement with hundreds of millions of people from more than 7,000 cities and towns in 154 countries across every continent switching off their lights for Earth Hour. As of 2013, Earth Hour had a digital reach of 345 million.
Earth Hour is a simple idea that turned into a global phenomenon, with hundreds of millions of people coming together to display a commitment to protect the one thing that unites us all – our planet.
In 2013 Earth Hour broke all records to become the largest movement for the planet in human history, spanning over 7,000 cities, 154 countries with a digital reach of 345 million. In 2012 and 2013, we achieved the following impacts:
• WWF Uganda started the world’s first Earth Hour Forest
• More than 250,000 Russians voiced support for better protection of their country’s seas and forests
• Argentina used its 2013 Earth Hour campaign to help pass a Senate bill for a 3.4 million hectare Marine Protected Area in the country
• Thousands of wood-‐saving stoves were distributed to families in Madagascar
• Solar-‐powered lights were installed in three villages without electricity in India
• In Paraguay, WWF used the Earth Hour platform to build public support to gain an extension of the logging moratorium, helping to reduce deforestation
• Education programs for schools were launched in Thailand and Taiwan
• Hundreds of thousands of LED lights were installed by girl scouts in the USA
In 2014 there are more than 2123 mitigation actions submitted by Earth Hour City Challenge.
Earth Hour 2014 – Focus on Business
The Business of Earth Hour and the Power of Social Media
The Business of Earth Day
Video – Business supporting Earth Hour
WWF’s Earth Hour Playbook for Business
What Organizations Did in Support of Earth Hour 2012
Canadian Businesses Supporting Earth Hour
Silencing Earth Day Critics
Video – Indian Environmentalist and CEO Shares his Support for Earth Hour
Earth Hour: Tangible Action Beyond the Symbolism
Earth Hour – Cape Town is the Global Earth Hour Capital for 2014
Earth Hour Blue – New Crowdfunding and Crowdsourcing Platform
Video – Earth Hour Blue Crowdfunding Tutorial
Earth Hour – An Introduction for the Uninitiated
Video – Earth Hour 2014 (2 Minutes)
Video – Earth Hour 2014 (60 seconds)
WWF’s Earth Hour 2013: Why You Should be Part of It!
Video – Spider-Man 2 the Most Sustainable Blockbuster Ever
Video – Spiderman is the 2014 Earth Hour Ambassador
Climate Care Day: An Environmental Event for Business