Parents in Colorado support green values and want to support environmental initiatives in their children’s schools. This was the finding in a 2014 survey by the Colorado Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
In addition to support for a range of green school initiatives the results of this study indicate that there is also strong support for the teaching of sustainability.
key findings from the survey
- 87 percent said that it is important to them that sustainability be a part of their child’s curriculum.
- 65 percent said they were aware of an initiative going on at their child’s school.
- 94 percent said they would support a green initiative to make their child’s school more energy efficient.
- 97 percent said they would support a green initiative to monitor the indoor air quality in their child’s school building.
- 97 percent said they would support a green initiative to promote locally or organically grown fruits and vegetables into school lunches.
- 100 percent of parents surveyed indicated that they “do something to be green at home.”
Make sure to see the article titled, “Comprehensive Green School Information and Resources.” It contains links to over 300 articles covering everything you need to know about sustainable academics, student eco-initiatives, green school buildings, and college rankings as well as a wide range of related information and resources.