This conference will take place on September 27-29, 2017 in Ottawa, Canada. The SFI Annual Conference brings together thought leaders and influencers from the forest sector, conservation and community partners, tribal and indigenous leaders as well as some of the most engaged forest product customers in North America. This year’s conference theme – Forests. A Way of Life – will highlight how we all depend on forests whether we are harvesting professionals, landowners, producers, customers, Indigenous peoples, or individuals using forests for recreation. To enjoy our shared quality of life, we need to ensure our forests are responsibly managed, so we have clean air, clean water, biodiversity, sustainable communities and forest products that improve our quality of life.
The topics that will be discussed at the conference will be relevant to the Canadian, American and international forest sectors. Attendees will also be able to celebrate Canada’s National Forest Week and Canada’s 150th anniversary.
The range of conference attendees showed the SFI community is growing in numbers and diversity all the time. This year’s conference brought together landowners, brand owners, conservationists, Indigenous groups, students, university deans, community groups, government officials, and more. This diversity is also reflected in the SFI Board, which represents the environmental, social and economic sectors equally.
Click here to download the 2017 SFI Conference Agenda.
- Kathy Abusow, President and CEO, Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- Joel Bonin, Director, Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Ronald Brizard, Associate Deputy Minister – Forestry Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks, Government of Quebec
Honourable Jim Carr, Canada’s Minister of Natural Resources
- Elder Claudette Commanda, Algonquin Elder, Kitigan Zibi
- George D’Urso, Director, Sustainability, WestRock
- Ivonne Higuero, Director Forests, Land & Housing Division, UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
- Tom Duffus, Vice President, Midwest Region and Northeast Representative, Conservation Acquisition
The Conservation Fund
- Kevin Edgson, President and CEO, EACOM Timber Corporation
- Laura Farquharson, Director General, Environment Canada
- Jean Paul (JP) Gladu, President and CEO, Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business
- Karla Guyn, CEO, Ducks Unlimited Canada
- Scott Hall, Senior Scientist, Bird Conservation, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- Scott P. Jones, CEO, Forest Landowners Association
- Susan Jones, FAIA LEED AP, Principal, atelierjones llc
- Rob Keen, CEO, Forests Ontario
- Thomas MacFarlane, Assistant Deputy Minister, Renewable Resources and Operations, Energy and Resource Department, New Brunswick
- Kathleen McFadden, Assistant Deputy Minister, Forest Industry Division, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Julia Marton-Lefèvre, Chair, Sustainable Biomass Program Advisory Board
- Glenn Mason, Assistant Deputy Minister, Canadian Forest Service, Natural Resources Canada
- Derek Nighbor, CEO, Forest Products Association of Canada
- Mark Rodgers, President and CEO, Habitat for Humanity Canada, Chair, SFI Inc. Board of Directors
- Rafael Salgado, Executive Director, Cal-Wood Education Center Colorado and, Co-Chair of Project Learning Tree’s Education Operating Committee
- Fiona Schmiegelow, Professor and Director, Northern Environmental and Conservation Sciences Program, University of Alberta
- Rod Taylor, Global Director, Forests Program, World Resources Institute
- Dave Tenny, President and CEO, National Alliance for Forest Owners
- Laura Thompson, Director of Technical Marketing and Sustainable Development, Sappi North America
- Lynn Wilson, Director, Natural Resources, Louisiana-Pacific
- Jeff Zweig, President and CEO, TimberWest
Close to 300 people attended the 2016 SFI Annual Conference for three
days of discussions, workshops, presentations and networking in
Clearwater, Florida, and brought life to the theme – Linking Future
Forests to Communities. Attendees were immersed in a range of topics.
Many commented: “Where else can you learn about conservation, habitats,
markets, supply chains and communities all in one place?”
Click here to access highlights from the 2016 SFI Annual Conference including sessions and speaker presentations.
Click here to register.