The 6th Sustainable Ocean Summit (SOS) will take place on November, 14-16, 2018 in Hong Kong. The SOS 2018 Theme is”Ocean Sustainable Development –
Connecting Asia and the World”. This is the only annual, international, multi-sectoral, business event dedicated to sustainable ocean development.
SOS provides a global platform for leadership companies and organizations to advance the development and implementation of industry-driven solutions to ocean sustainability challenges.
The SOS is uniquely designed to bring together leadership companies from the diverse Ocean Business Community: shipping, oil and gas, fisheries, aquaculture, seabed mining, tourism, renewable energy, ports, dredging, mining, submarine cables, marine science, engineering and technology, the maritime legal, financial and insurance communities, and others – as well as ocean stakeholders from the government, inter-governmental, academic and environment communities.
Since 2010, the SOS has been the unique gathering of the world’s ocean industries focused on the sustainable development, science and stewardship of the global ocean. The SOS 2018 theme of “Ocean Sustainable Development – Connecting Asia and the World” recognizes:
- The major role that Asia plays in the global economy through trade and maritime transport
- The size and growth of the economies and population of Asian countries
- The national, regional and international importance of key ocean industries in Asia, e.g. shipping, shipbuilding, fisheries, aquaculture, etc.
- The global interconnectedness of the ocean, the ocean economy and the ocean business community
The need to address ocean sustainable development and the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at a global scale with all ocean business sectors
P R O G R A M
The SOS 2018 Program was developed with input from the international ocean business community.
- Ocean Executive Forum: The Signature SOS Multi-Sector Panel of CEOs
- Asian Shipping: Leadership and Challenges in Connecting Asia and the World
- Women in Ocean Industries: Leadership and Sustainable Development
- Ocean 2030: Ocean Industry Projections and the Future of the Ocean Economy (covering ocean transportation, energy, food, tourism and minerals)
- The Digital Ocean, Big Ocean Data and the Ocean Cloud
- Ocean Investment Platform: Financing Ocean Sustainable Development in Asia
- Innovation and Acceleration of Solutions to Ocean Sustainable Development Challenges Facing the Ocean Business Community
- Plastics/Waste Removal from Ocean and Island Areas and MicroPlastic Detection: Maritime Industry Experience, Innovation, Practical Solutions
- Biofouling and Invasive Aquatic Species: The GEF-UNDP-IMO GloFouling Partnerships Project – Opportunities for Business Collaboration and Implementation
OCEAN AND CLIMATE
- Ocean Business Action on Climate Change: Implementing Port Adaptation and Exploring Ocean Negative Emission Technologies
- LNG as a Marine Fuel: Changing the CO2 Footprint of Shipping and Other Ocean Industries
FOOD SECURITY: SUSTAINABLE FISHING AND AQUACULTURE
- Aquaculture: Ensuring Sustainable Production in Crowded Seas
OCEAN KNOWLEDGE, RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY
- SMART Ocean – SMART Industries and the Arctic: Advancing Industry-Science Collaboration for Data Collection in Support of Safe and Responsible Arctic Development
OCEAN GOVERNANCE AND PLANNING
- UN Law of the Sea: New Legally Binding Instrument on Biodiversity in Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction (BBNJ) and Ocean Industries
- Responsible Marine Mining: Leadership and Collaboration for Accountable Ocean Mining – from Nearshore to the Deep Sea
- One Belt, One Road, One Ocean: International Business Collaboration to Help Ensure the Maritime Silk Road Leads to a Sustainable Destination
- Shipbuilding for Sustainability: The Role of Shipyards and Vessel Construction in Supporting Ocean Sustainable Development
- The Role of the Ocean/Maritime Legal and Insurance Community in Understanding and Addressing Risk and Opportunity in the Blue Economy and Ocean Sustainable Development
Invitation-only event to find out more click here.