Pathways to Sustainability conference will take place on January 24, 2019 at TivoliVredenburg, Utrecht. A wide spectrum of researchers and partners will come together for this annual free conference.
The programme of the upcoming conference features keynotes from Sheila Jasanoff (Professor of Science and Technology Studies, Harvard University), Jeroen Willemsen (founder of the Green Protein Alliance), and Diederik Samsom (chair Klimaattafel Gebouwde Omgeving, nuclear physicist and former politician).
Sustainability from various perspectives.
Harvard Professor Sheila Jasanoff challenges the two main visions to achieve a more sustainable world by introducing a new imaginary of the ‘un-modern’. Diederik Samsom uses storytelling to take us on a journey to sustainable futures, based on his varied experience with sustainable energy in the energy sector, Dutch politics, and at Greenpeace. And Jeroen Willemsen, founder of the plant-based ‘chicken’ producing company Ojah, argues that we need to restore the worldwide protein balance to ensure food security.
Interactive sessions and discussions
In the afternoon we offer several interactive break-out sessions, which are organised by the hubs of Pathways to Sustainability. They cover the energy transition, future food, future deltas and circular cities. In addition, we have a session on the circular economy in relation to the plastic soup, and one on the creation of a sustainable campus. We close off with an interactive discussion about the role of the university in the transition to a sustainable society.
In between these programme elements you can visit the Sustainable Marketplace, representing all kinds of initiatives within Utrecht University related to sustainability. And during the vegetarian lunch and other breaks there is plenty of opportunity to get in touch with fellow sustainability experts.
- Sheila Jasanoff is Professor of Science and Technology Studies at the Harvard Kennedy School.
- Jeroen Willemsen is the founder of the Green Protein Alliance.
- Diederik Samsom is the chair of the Klimaattafel Gebouwde Omgeving, a nuclear physicist and former politician.
- Denise de Ridder is Professor of psychology at Utrecht University.
- Jochen Monstadt is Professor of Governance of Urban Transitions and Dynamics at Utrecht University.
- Gert Jan Kramer is Professor of Sustainable Energy Supply Systems at Utrecht University.
- Rens Voesenek is Professor of Plant Ecophysiology at Utrecht University.
- Hans Middelkoop is Professor of Global Change Geomorphology at Utrecht University.
- Ernst Worrell is Professr of Energy, materials and environment at Utrecht University.
- Walter Vermeulen is Associate Professor on governance systems for sustainability at Utrecht University.
- Kitty van der Heijden is the Director of the Europe and Africa Offices of the World Resources Institute.
- Frans Berkhout is Professor of Environment, Society and Climate at King’s College London.
- Henk Kummeling is the Rector Magnificus of Utrecht University.
- Maarten Hajer is the Scientific Director of Pathways to Sustainability and professor of Urban Futures at Utrecht University.
- Vanessa Timmer is a Senior Research Fellow at Utrecht University. She is also the Executive Director of the Canadian ‘think and do tank’ One Earth.
Click here for the conference programme
Participation in the Pathways to Sustainability conference 2019 is free of charge, but registration is mandatory. You can register by clicking on the link below. Please note that the capacity of the parallel break-out sessions is limited, so make sure to register in time for the session of your choice.
Click here to register.