This live virtual event will take place on March 24, 2021. Organized by Project Syndicate, in partnership with the European Investment Bank, and the European Commission, this event will outline what instruments can be deployed to support the global decarbonization effort. It will also take a deep-dive into climate policy, international coordination, and financial innovation.
This decade is absolutely critical. The steps humanity takes – or fails to take – between now and 2030 will determine whether we can avert the most devastating effects of climate change in the future. If we act in the right way, this undertaking will yield high returns: a sustainable and resilient economy that delivers prosperity, fairness, and quality of life for all. Though success is still within reach, time is running out, making genuine climate leadership more urgent than ever before. Our task is to determine how public and private investment mechanisms can be used to achieve a just transition to a “net-zero” emissions economy, both in the European Union and around the world.
The climate challenge demands determined action and significant investment – going far beyond current levels. But the costs of not acting will be far greater. Investing in climate mitigation and resilience will support the recovery from the COVID-19 crisis and lay the foundation for a sustainable future.
- Oliver Bäte, Chairman of the Board of Management of Allianz SE
- Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Environmentalist and Photographer
- Michael Bloomberg, UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy on Climate Ambition and Solutions
- Jo Coburn, Presenter of BBC Politics Live
- Teresa Czerwińska, Vice President of the European Investment Bank
- Valdis Dombrovskis, Executive Vice President of the European Commission
- Patricia Espinosa, Executive Secretary of the UNFCCC
- Ambroise Fayolle, Vice President of the European Investment Bank
- João Pedro Matos Fernandes, Minister of the Environment of Portugal
- Kristalina Georgieva, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund
- Werner Hoyer, President of the European Investment Bank
- Christopher Hurst, Director-General of the Projects Directorate at the European Investment Bank
- Eila Kreivi, Director of Capital Markets at the European Investment Bank
- Christine Lagarde, President of the European Central Bank
- Ma Jun, Chairman of China’s Green Finance Committee
- Mairead McGuinness, European Commissioner for Financial Services, Financial Stability, and the Capital Markets Union
- Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Mauro Petriccione, Director-General for Climate Action at the European Commission
- Fiona Reynolds, CEO of the Principles for Responsible Investment
- Samantha Smith, Director of the Just Transition Centre at the International Trade Union Confederation
- Andrew Steer, President and CEO of the World Resources Institute
- Achim Steiner, Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme
- Frans Timmermans, Executive Vice President of the European Commission
- Irene Tinagli, Chair of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs of the European Parliament
- Laurence Tubiana, Chair of the European Climate Foundation
- Maarten Verwey, Director-General of Economic and Financial Affairs (ECFIN) at the European Commission
- Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission
- Elizabeth Wanjiru Wathuti, Founder of the Green Generation Initiative
- Sean Whelan, London Correspondent for RTÉ News
Click here to see the agenda or to register.